Here's this week's recipe... the audio clip that aired on Nash Holos is available at the NH website from now until the next program update.
1 small head cabbage, shredded
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup butter or bacon fat
3 Tbsp water
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup diced canned tomatoes
1 tbsp sugar, or to taste
2 tbsp sour cream
salt & freshly ground pepper
sprinkle of red pepper flakes
1. Saute the onion in a large frying pan until tender.
2. Add the cabbage and water and cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until the cabbage is tender but still slightly crisp.
3. In another pan, melt the butter or bacon fat. Add the flour, stir to blend, and add the tomatoes and sugar.
4. Cook until the sauce thickens.
5. Add the sour cream and season to taste.
6. Combine the sauce with the sabbage and bring to a boil.
7. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes to blend the flavours.
Try it ... it's Ukrainian!