Player

Listen or Download:

Friday, August 22, 2008

Extraordinary modern Ukrainian music

While I was toodling around Stepan's website I ended up on YouTube and came across this video:



I was attracted to it because of the name, Horpyna, which if I recall correctly is the name of a Ukrainian (?) witch in the movie With Fire and Sword, which I saw at the Adult Ukrainian Immersion Camp in Saskatchewan a couple of summers ago. (And which btw I highly recommend if you're looking for a great time and incredible Ukrainian food.)

Anyway, this group Horpyna is unbelievable. They're Ukrainians in Poland, and you can find out a bit more about them here.

More please!! This is indicative of the kind of distinctive Ukrainian music genre I've been hoping would materialize and get marketed to the world. They've dubbed their music as "folk&roll.' As I've said before, it's a shame groups like this aren't being properly promoted and their music marketed widely. Maybe it will happen someday. One can only hope!

But in the meantime ... I'd love a copy of their CD (if they have one) for the Nash Holos library. And I sure hope they plan to tour Canada sometime soon, with a stop in Vancouver. Awesome!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Horpyna has released 3 CD's. I have 2 of them.
contact me at krayan@cia.com

Pawlina said...

I am embarassing late in answering but I am very interested in getting my hands on music by Horpyna.

Featured Post

Giving Tuesday - Worthy Ukrainian (and other) causes to support

After the excitement of Black Friday and Cyber Monday subsides, along comes Giving Tuesday. Also known as the Global Day of Giving, or in Uk...