Audio archives of last Sunday's program are now available at the Nash Holos website, including Chetverta Khvylia (4th Wave).
On Ukrainian Food Flair, a delicious recipe for a quick sweet rye bread. On Travel Tips for Ukraine and Eastern Europe, highlights of Khreshchatyk, Kyiv's main street. An interview with Jars Balan, author of the new study guide for the feature film, Acts of Imagination. Proverb, upcoming community events and plenty of Great Ukrainian music!
Here's this week's recipe... Enjoy!
Quick Sweet Rye Bread
½ cup water
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp baking soda
1 large egg, beaten
4-5 cups rye flour
1. In a small saucepan, boil the water, sugars and honey together for 3-4 minutes, then cool.
2. Mix in the egg and soda.
3. Place the flour in a large bowl and form a well in the centre.
4. Pour the liquid into the well and work the flour in.
5. Knead dough until smooth.
6. Divide in two and place each half into a well-buttered loaf pan.
7. Bake at 350ºF for 40 minutes. Rest 15 minutes before serving.
Try it – it’s Ukrainian!