- Shred a small head of cabbage. Make sure to discard the core.
- Chop up a medium onion and sauté with the cabbage in about 2 tablespoons of oil, until limp.
- Brown a pound of ground beef or pork and add it to two cups of cooked rice. Mix with the cabbage and onion mixture, with a teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and garlic to taste (either crushed fresh garlic or garlic powder).
- Put the mixture into a casserole dish or small roaster.
- Add one can of tomato soup and mix well.
- Bake at 350ºF for about an hour, till heated through.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Nash Holos recipe - Lazy Holubtsi (Cabbage Rolls)
For those who love the taste of holubtsi, but don't have the time (or patience) to make the "real thing" ... here's the recipe Judy shared with Nash Holos listeners last Sunday on Ukrainian Food Flair.
Веселих Свят! Христос Раждаєтсья! Best wishes to Nash Holos listeners for a happy holiday season. For those celebrating according to ...
Last Sunday on Nash Holos Judy shared an awesome recipe for buckwheat holubtsi (cabbage rolls). It's an encore presentation (originall...
Probably the most loved food in the Ukrainian tradition is ... you guessed it ... varenyky, or perogies, or as we called them growing up on ...
Here’s another of Judy’s recollections from her memorable trip to Ukraine and preparing for a family wedding in the village. She shared it o...