Player

Listen or Download:

Monday, May 11, 2009

Pawlina writing a book

Just thought I'd let you know that I'm in the process of writing a book. I've signed a contract and just met with my editor to discuss the direction of my story.

It's a non-fiction book on the WWI internment of Ukrainian Canadians and will be one of a 3-part series on wartime internment of ethnic minorities (the other two are the WWII Japanese and Italian) in Canada. The target audience is high school students.

I'm actually co-authoring it. My mission is to write a narrative and my co-author (chosen by the publisher) will compile the "dry" historical and political facts.

Because the Ukrainian internment happened so long ago, and the government destroyed the official records in the 1950s, it's a pretty tough row to hoe. I've got a lot of research under my belt already but it's so far mostly the "dry" stuff. Now I have to dig deeper and find any personal accounts that may have been chronicled and are stored in some dusty archives.

I've got a few already but may still have to do a research trip or two in the near future. In the meantime, if you happen to know of any personal diaries that descendants may still have, or have personal stories in your own family and are willing to share them, please let me know. Either leave a comment on this blog post letting me know how to get in touch with you, or contact me directly by email.

Duzhe diakuyu!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, its about time Paulette. Great to hear this news. There is an interesting person here in Montreal region who might be of interest for you.

http://www.ukemonde.com/internment/enemy_aliens.html

Pawlina said...

Thanks, Roman, for the site and for the kind words.

Actually, Kim's poem appeared in Kobzar's Children: A Century of Untold Ukrainian Stories (page 28&29) in English and French. It's an incredible poem, and she was only 13 when she composed it!

Hopefully she will nurture and cultivate her considerable writing talents.

Thanks again for sharing!

Featured Post

Giving Tuesday - Worthy Ukrainian (and other) causes to support

After the excitement of Black Friday and Cyber Monday subsides, along comes Giving Tuesday. Also known as the Global Day of Giving, or in Uk...