Player

Listen or Download:

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I'm ba-a-a-ck!

Well, I see that my last post was made on August 28 ... wow, does time fly when you travel to Ukraine!

Yes, I'm just back from the trip of a lifetime. My mom decided to take a trip to Ukraine and invited her brood along. Three of her daughters (including me) and two grand-daughters were able to make the trip, so on Sept. 8 we left Winnipeg together, and returned on the 24th. I returned home to Vancouver on the 28th.

We went to Kyiv, Yalta, Lviv and Vienna. It was quite incredible. I was the only one who'd ever been to Ukraine, but that was in 1984, so it was almost like the first time for me. Quite a few surprises all around... some pleasant, some not. But we all agree, it was a fabulous experience all around.

I have quite a lot of pics, notes and memories to sift through ... and savour! So please indulge me as I share my recollections of this awesome trip over the next little while.

4 comments:

Vasyl Pawlowsky said...

Pawlina,

You know everyone is waiting with bated breath about the finer details of your trip... Including pics with the people I introduced you to...

Good to see you blogging again!

Vasyl

Pawlina said...

Thanks, Vasyl!

I don't know about "bated breath" ... I'm sure people have more important things to do! :-)But it's always fun recalling memories of a trip.

My travelling companions and I agreed to "pool" all our pix on our return home, which is a good thing since my camera kept dying on me, and photography is not my forte anyway.

However, this being a busy season without a trip to Ukraine thrown into the mix, it's taking a little while to get them ...

Anonymous said...

Wow, what news! Pawlina is back and... back from Ukraine! You even visited Yalta - good choice! Have you had a chance to sleed on its central beach? :-) I did, this is a wonderful city. Very interesting to compare it to Vancouver, because I see something in common: subtropical plants, elevated humidity, relax :-) And Kyiv of course, I wanna know how you find Kyiv..

Pawlina said...

Thanks, Stan ... altho I don't know that I'd exactly classify my return home as exciting news! But thanks for the kind sentiment. :-)

I'm just about done organizing my pix so I'll be putting some up soon.

Yes, Yalta. What a surprise. I loved it, so different from the rest of Ukraine. And, you're right about the topographical similarities to Lotusland. I felt quite at home, especially driving through the mountains to Simferopol. Definitely a place I want to go back to!

Featured Post

Giving Tuesday - Worthy Ukrainian (and other) causes to support

After the excitement of Black Friday and Cyber Monday subsides, along comes Giving Tuesday. Also known as the Global Day of Giving, or in Uk...